About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2010/01/13

Oh my aching brain cell, or, dcpromo u gotta be kidding me!

 

Stupidly, I attempted to join a new 2008 R2 DC to our domain the other day.  I was doing it from a different site, but heck, should be no sweat, right?

Wrong.

DNS was good, name resolution worked, and the machine could join the domain, but why the dcpromo errors?

“failed to examine the active directory forest.  the error was: the operation cannot conitnue because the ldap connect/bind operation failed: error: 58” 

and

“the operation cannot continue because ldap connect/bind operation failed: error: 1326”

I tried various fixes and whatnots…and then stumbled across a little tidbit here that implied that the computer administrator (pre-domain) password might need to match the forest root domain administrator password. 

Having exhausted all my other possibilities, I tried this - and did not expect any success.

But, WTFO!  It worked.  So now the question is, why?

3 comments:

Wildblue said...

Thanks for the tip. I accomplished the same thing by just disabling the local admin account. Weird... shouldn't have worked, but that's what seemed to fix it.

Unknown said...

I was getting the same error 58 while running DCPROMO on a W2012R2 server on an IPV4-only network. Looking at the logs, I found errors in the system log that IPV6 adapters were failing to register. I resolved this by disabling the IPV6 transitional adapters:

netsh interface 6to4 set state disabled
netsh interface teredo set state disabled
netsh interface isatap set state disabled

That done, DCPROMO ran w/out any errors.

StiX said...

The tip from victor was the good one for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture