About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2011/08/24

E2010 EMC cannot read local server

The Issue

Opened the EMC on several E2010 servers today.  Was rudely told that the EMC could not contact the local server.  A reboot fixed the problem, but I don’t like that.

I found this little routine here.

1. make sure IIS WinRM extension is installed
2. open powershell and run command : WinRM Quickconfig
3. Open IIS go to Powershell virtual directory and check that SSL in disabled and authentification is set only to Anonymous
4. Open Windows powershell modules
5. run Remove-PowershellVirtualDirectory command
6. run New-PowershellVirtuallirectory command
7. IISreset

I did not have to do the entire thing in my case.  I did, however, check each and every e2010 (all 14) in the environment.  NONE of them had the WinRM installed.  All of them had the PowerShell vDir with anonymous disabled, but not requiring SSL.

What’s up with that?  I checked the e2010 on server 2008 R2 prerequisites and the IIS WinRM is not listed for any role – which explains why it was not present on any of my servers.

The Fix

So, my final resolution was:

  1. Install IIS WinRM Extension
  2. Enable Anonymous on the PowerShell vDir

YMMV

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture