About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2012/09/11

CSClientVersionPolicy

As we know, we can limit/control what clients we allow to login to our Lync Servers.  However, if you look at the Client Version Policy, it can be a bit cryptic:

image

What the heck is an RTC or a UCCP? How to determine that?  Well, chapter 3 of the Lync 2010 Resource Kit – Client Administration – has a handy chart:

Client Name

User Agent

Lync 2010, Office Communicator

OC

Lync Web App, Communicator Web Access

CWA

Lync 2010 Phone Edition, Office Communicator Phone

OCPhone

Communicator Phone Edition Platform

CPE

Unified Communications Platform

UCCP

Lync 2010 Attendee

AOC

Live Meeting Add-In

LiveMeetingAddins

Office Live Meeting

LMC

Windows Messenger

WM

Real-time Communications Client

RTC

That explains a lot, but I notice that there are no MAC clients listed – and maybe I want to allow the newer MAC 2011 client to connect, but not the older one??  How to do that?

Well, as it turns out, the User Agent for Mac is "MC" and Communicator for Mac 2011 is 13.* and Lync for Mac 2011 is 14.*  I assume (BIG ASSUME) that a newer MAC client may be forthcoming in the next Office for MAC rev, and it will be a 15.* – at any rate, now that we know this, we can write a new filter to trap for the 13.* but allow the 14.* – something like this.  You may wish to change your rules order, they are evaluated from the top down.

image

YMMV

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, great explanation. Saved me half a day scratching my head.

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture