About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2014/07/23

Where is my Lync PIN Stored?

I don’t know why this question came up, but a client asked me today: “where does Lync store the user’s conference PIN?” I hate questions to which I don’t know the answer.  A few ideas came to mind; a co-worker suggested that the PIN was in SQL somewhere.

So I went looking.  Dang!  and looked.  And poked.  And prodded.  But finally!

RTCLocal instance, RTC database.  The table is dbo.UserPinMembership.

image

But, when you look at it, the actual PIN appears to be a one-way hash (like AD storing passwords). 

image

So, even after you find the magical user PIN, do not attempt to edit this value directly or you will probably be sorry.  Instead, use the PowerShell cmdlets provided for that purpose.

image

Take a look at

Set-CSClientPin

Get-CSClientPinInfo

image

and if you are really adventurous,

Set-CSPinSendCAWelcomeMail which can be used sort of like this for the one-offs, or you can read a csv and set everyone at once.

Set-CsPinSendCAWelcomeMail -UserUri "sip:jweber@domain.com" -From "helpdesk@domain.com" -SmtpServer vmailbox.domain.com -Subject "your PIN" -Pin "135791" -Force -Verbose -UserEmailAddress jweber@domain.com

But trust me, don’t try to change or set the PIN using direct SQL edits.

YMMV.

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture